Thursday, December 07, 2006

The things kids say...

Last night we were sitting down eating dinner. Michael and I were probably talking about work or something, when Samantha chimes in with "What's dufft mean?" We asked her to repeat it a couple of times, and finally she says, "It's when Mommy says this: (and she begins to sing)

'You are beautiful beyond description, too marvelous for words!
Too wonderful for comprehension, like nothing ever seen or heard.
Who can grasp your infinte wisdom, who can fathom the dufft of your love?'"

We laughed and explained that it was "depth", like the water is three feet deep in the pool. "I don't have three feet!" she says. Too funny! By this point Jack is probably throwing food, so somehow the conversation ended without much understanding, I'm afraid.

And today, Jack and I are waiting for Dad at the doctor's office when he decides he wants his jacket "Off!" and he says it repeatedly until he got the jacket removed from his body. That is definitely a new word for him. Can I just say that I LOVE it when they communicate with words!

Michael and I are discovering the differences between Jack and Samantha. Samantha would be quite happy with the same breakfast for the next 15 years, but Jack...dear little Jack...he needs variety for breakfast, lunch and supper. About leftovers Jack says a resounding, "NO!" We're ok with the differences, it's just a shock to our system 'cause we got our parental game down; we know what's for breakfast, or at least we did! Now we have to be creative and think so early in the morning. Anyway, knowing is half the battle, G.I. Joe!

Christmas shopping is almost done, although I need to get the gifts all in the same room and count them...so that they have an equal amount. My favorite gift this year is the sand box that we bought for them! I can't wait for them to see it!

Another almost done thing is Christmas cards...envelopes almost done, and I haven't decided about a short little note to include. We've been in the wilderness, so it would be quite a short note. We'll see.

Tonight, I'm going to coffee with my friend, Julie. I REALLY like her and am excited about becoming closer friends.

Later taters!

2 comments:

~aj~ said...

Samantha is so funny! Adam could also eat the same breakfast every day, although recently pancakes are his favorite. Last night we had breakfast for dinner and he had 5 big pancakes!!!

Glad you got to get out with a friend for a while. Sometimes that is MUCH needed!

Bob Devlin said...

I have 3 kids and noe of them are alike. It keeps you on your toes for sure.

Cute stories. I miss when they were little ones.